Second time hosting the Golden Globes, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler’s funny wit (almost bordering on rude) antics were on full display. And to make it even more hilarious, they had a drinking game all set up. “Any time you see a gown with sleeves, you’re going to drink. Any time they cut to Tom Hanks for a reaction shot, do five push-ups and you will be ripped by the end of the ceremony,” says Fey to the Hollywood Reporter. Tina Fey in Carolina Herrera, Amy Poehler in Stella McCartney for all 3 outfits, the ladies looked their very best and Ted Baker even got to dress Amy’s alter ego Randy, son of Tina’s illicit affair.
BEST DRESSED – TAYLOR SWIFT/ LUPITA NYONGO/ CATE BLANCHETT/ MARGOT ROBBIE/ KATE MARA
WORST DRESSED – JULIA ROBERTS/ MELISSA RAUNCH/ LENA DUNHAM/ PAULA PATTON/ DREW BARRYMORE/ ZOE SALDANA/ BERENICE BEJO/ EDIE FALCO/ AUBREY PLAZA/ CAITLIN FITZGERALD
Taylor Swift looked absolutely ravishing in Carolina Herrera, I think it’s time we expect her to be on the best dressed list everywhere. Amy Adams in Valentino, I love the fluidity of the skirt but the top was much too weird and it looked like it was plastered to her. Louis Roe looked simply beautiful and played it by the rules in Monique Lhuillier. Lupita Nyongo in Ralph Lauren was definitely the superhero moment of the night. Bold move serves her right earning her a place among the best dressed.
Moving on to the next popular color choice of the evening, Julianna Margulies kept it classy and interesting in Andrew GN. I just wish the print was interesting enough to keep that up. Sofia Vergara in Zac Posen was just too predictable and OTT. I definitely do not like the clash of Black, blue and the blond hair. Leslie Mann was spot on in D&G, pulling off the look with much ease. Jessica Chastain made the right choice with Givenchy but went horribly wrong when it came to her hair stylist.
Lily Rabe in Georges Hobeika, I can’t think of anything that’s gone wrong but it isn’t impressive enough to be on the best dressed list either. Kate Beckinsale was a vision in Zuhair Murad, the strapless mermaid dress made her look tall and the fabric and sequins kept it real and interesting. Cate Blanchett in Giorgio Armani, another woman I’m going to look out for, makes interesting choices and almost always gets away with it. Sandra Bullock, I’m just so glad you’re in your weird phase but I’m quite surprised I’m going along with this. Prabal Gurung’s dress was playful, bold and dressy all at the same time. I don’t think anyone else could have pulled it off that simply. And applause for that hairstyle, Sandra; you do it like the pro you are.
Margot Robbie looked like a million bucks in Gucci while Zooey Deschanel looked Oh, so pretty in Oscar De La Renta. Should have zeroed in on a simpler shoe though. The studded pumps are way too distracting. Zosia Mamet tried keeping it simple in Reem Acra but everything matters in fashion sweety; even the tree that’s slowly creeping up its way to your shoulders. Sarah Hyland would have looked like an angel in her Georges Hobeika, only if it weren’t for her apparent inspiration from Frida Kahlo.
Kate Mara in J. Mendel looked super sexy with all the right things in all the right places. Kerry Washington in Balenciaga looked lovely enough even despite the disastrous dress. Anna Gunn in Donna Karan Atelier looked gracious and beautiful although I would have like a little color somewhere. Tatiana Maslany in Jenny Packham again looked simple and beautiful.
Allison Williams comes across a little uptight in her Alexander McQueen, while Amber Heard is all out sexy in Versace. My Grandmother would suggest she rather take that off, since it’s not actually serving any purpose and I’d probably agree only because she’s Johnny Depp’s girlfriend (Weeps!! And she’s just too bloody gorgeous for me to hate her).
Mr. and Mrs. McConaughey, if D&G couldn’t help you, I don’t know what will. Channing Tatum looked flawless in Gucci while Jenna rocked the Cavalli like she was never pregnant and not just had a baby.
If it weren’t for the beard, Chiwetel Ejiofor looked super sharp in Rake. Sari Mercer looked good enough to look pretty. Chris Hemsworth also looked flawless as usual in D&G while Elsa Pataky in Paula Ke could’ve looked much better.
Bow ties dominated the red carpet with most men adorned in them. Leonardo Di Caprio looked every bit the Gatsby in Giorgio Armani while Chris Pine looked drool-worthy in Ermenegildo Zegna. Bradley Cooper went for the good boy look in Tom Ford while Johnny Depp looked every bit his gorgeous self, minus the blond hair.
It’s been quite a while since we spotted Orlando Bloom and he does not disappoint wearing Lanvin; coming to think of it, he most definitely doesn’t look like he lost Miranda Kerr recently either. Aaron Eckhart in D&G looked handsome while Kunal Nayyar looked cute as a button. Usher was the single disaster in CK; it looked like he was trying to turn into a Hersey’s Bar.
Quite a few disasters and disappointments this year at the Golden Globes. Olivia Wilde, you definitely look hot in that Gucci, but that’s not the word you want to hear when you’re pregnant like that. Emma Watson(Christian Dior), did you pay attention to that sleeve? That’s where you went wrong.
Maria Menounos, we’re all thankful that we left the 80’s behind and so should you. This Max Azria looks like the futuristic 80’s. Emma Roberts, you still have time to grow up. Have some fun in life. This Lanvin dress should be donated to Julia instead.
Uma Thurman(Versace), it looks like you’ve left your good old days behind. Monica Potter in Romona Keveza looks classy enough. What would’ve been better is a structured skirt.
- Kaley Cuoco, I sincerely think you’re either blinded by your marriage or are just too busy to focus on what you’re wearing.
- Naomi Watts in Tom Ford, we expect better from you.
- Jennifer Lawrence (Christian Dior), stays true to Tina Fey’s quotes by doing it until everyone hates it.
- Michelle Dockery, lifeless and dull was not the way you were trying to go, was it?
- Mila Kunis in Gucci, somebody said it looks like left-over Christmas decorations and I’d have to agree.
- Reese Witherspoon, there are a million occasions you could’ve worn that dress and this is not one of them.
- Lena Dunham, we get that you’re trying to make a statement but please do so when you’re dressed well. This Zac Posen hugs you in all the wrong places and makes you look like a disaster.
- Melissa Raunch, what’s with the obsession with poppy colors? This Romona Keveza dress does nothing to complement your fabulous self and is honestly is a waste of space. And please stop with the bright colors. You’re literally blinding us.
- Julia Roberts, I’ve never expected you to surprise me in fashion and I don’t think you ever will. The D&G strapless reminds me of a waitress with the shirt that you’ve got going on. Edie Falco, I see your inspiration and I get it but I truly wish you’d spent some quality time on getting your Lanvin fitted.
- Berenice Bejo, how is it that a woman like you picks THAT out of a million other choices in the world??? Giambattista Valli, I have no clue what you were thinking when you made that thing.
- Aubrey Plaza, how do you go to Oscar De La Renta and pick that out? Or were you on your way to your cousin’s wedding??
- Drew Barrymore, you are adorable. But that’s not going to stop us from noticing the disastrous fashion choices you’re making. This Monique Lhuillier would have served you much better with a belt when you weren’t pregnant.
- Zoe Saldana, I respect the fact that you are bold but, even you must have found the dress way too distracting. It hardly even makes sense.
- Paula Patton, why do you have to make me feel like a b***h? Couldn’t you just wear something nice for once? There seemed to be a train of ruffle growing out of this Stéphane Rolland dress.
- Caitlin FitzGerald, I love the fact that you’re taking a risk with this Emilia Wickstead dress. I just wish you’d done it with a better dress. If that dress had been sleeveless with a deep squarish neck and fitted, then it’d be worth it. And the blond hair clashes way too much.
So, do you agree with me? What do you think? Let me know in the comments!
Till next time,
Please note that I only take credit for the image editing and written material. Image and information sources are from various media through secondary research.